Practical Support

Counselling / Carer Support Groups
Carers can benefit from assistance through individual or group counselling, relationship or family counselling, and carer support groups. For information on your local support groups, or where you can access carer counselling, contact Carers Queensland on 1800 242 636.


Carer Forum
Carers Queensland also provides an online Carer Forum for carer and people with lived experience of mental illness to access peer-to-peer advice and support in an anonymous, safe, online environment. Go to Carer Forum.


Financial Assistance
Financial assistance for carers is available in two main forms – a carer payment and a carer allowance. For more information, contact Centrelink. Carers Queensland also operates a No-Interest Loan Scheme for carers – find out more.


Many organisations, including Carers Queensland, provide education sessions and workshops for carers and service providers. Carer education can cover a broad range of topics such as coping strategies, carer resources and services, and health and wellbeing for carers.


Carers need flexible respite options appropriate for both themselves and the person they care for. Respite allows the carer peace of mind, and gives them time to enjoy some valuable time out. For information about respite care, contact the National Carer Gateway  or United Synergies.


Emergency care plans
Carers can develop emergency care plans and/or family agreements to assist in a crisis situation and help families work together. An Emergency Care Plan outlines who to contact and what care is required in an emergency situation. See the National Carer Gateway for more information.


Legal Documents and Processes
An Advance Health Directive outlines the care a person with a mental illness wishes to receive should they be involuntarily admitted to hospital.

A Family Arrangement outlines how the family can work together to deal with common conflict and how to respond in a crisis situation.

A Ulysses Agreement is a way for parents with a mental illness to plan for the care of their children should they (the parent) become unwell.


Guardianship & Enduring Power of Attorney
An Enduring Power of Attorney is an important legal document that outlines who the person you are caring for would like to manage their personal or financial affairs when they no longer have capacity to do so. An Enduring Power of Attorney can be created if a person is over 18 and has capacity to understand the nature and giving power to an Attorney. Carers Queensland’s Family and Advocate Service can assist you in the application process, please call our Carer Advisory Service line on 1800 242 636.

In Queensland, guardianship is governed by the Office of the Public Guardian and operates under the Guardianship and Administration Act 2000.


A Will is a legal document that declares how your assets will be distributed after death. It is important to have a Will and to keep the information up to date when circumstances change. Wills can be done through a solicitor or through The Public Trustee. Public Trustee Wills are created at no cost. Be sure to decide if you wish to use them as the executor of the Will or choose your own as it is not a condition of their service – you have a choice. For more information contact the Public Trustee on 1300 360 044.

Facilitator PowerPoint MHR4C

For access to Facilitator PowerPoint please >>>CLICK HERE<<<